- Just released! BE THE GIFT film festival featuring a number of films, visual posters and guides and support for organizing your own festival celebrating gift culture and gift economies!
- Shikshantar is honored to be a co-host of the newly launched Vikalp Sangam, or Alternatives Confluence, along with Kalpavriksh, Deccan Development Society and Bhoomi Network. The Vikalp Sangam website features all kinds of inspiring alternatives promoting social and ecological harmony that are popping up all over India. Alternative initiatives featured here can be practical activities, policies, processes, technologies, and concepts/frameworks. We also be organizing several face-to-face confluences around India in the coming year so stay tuned for more info on these.
- Check out the wonderful images and articles from the Giftival -- held in October 2013 in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Interested in learning more about Swaraj? Visit Swaraj Foundation's website to find a series of films on swaraj that feature interviews with leading practitioners from around the world.
- Udaipur is full of wonderful people, inspiring points of light. Read about them in our online resource directory, Shining Stars of the Lake City. As part of Udaipur as a Learning City, we have created this also as a contribution to the Multiversity, an effort to see the rich web of learning resources we have in our midst.
- "What's the REAL Story? Generating a Dialogue around the MDGs (the Millennium Development Goals)" is the latest addition to the Resisting the Culture of Schooling series. Many questions are raised and experiences are cited that invite us to take a deeper look at this latest UN declaration and global craze. Please share your own comments/feedback/ideas and experiences with us for the next round of conversation.
- Want to support eco-friendly and responsible tourism in Udaipur? Then check out the Greenleaf Ratings system we compiled - a guide for tourists to make better decisions about their hotels in Udaipur. We put this together in collaboration with the Lonely Planet guidebook, and are seeking to share it around the tourist community. Check it out and pass it on to others traveling to Udaipur - and to get new insights into what kind of tourism you could help promote!
- Deer Park Institute has put together a number of interesting short films on zero waste and their experiments in Himachal Pradesh. Check them out on-line, and contact Alex Jensen to learn more.
- Based on Paul Hawken's best-selling book, Blessed Unrest is on its way to becoming the first global participatory film.
It is an open source film, where individuals and groups can share the inspiring work they are doing in the world to change it for the better, maybe just in time.
- Check out 4Real, an innovative new TV series to bring together young social movement activists from different countries with celebrities, to explore contemporary social issues and positive actions.
- Shikshantar is pleased to share with you a thought-provoking
new compilation: Reflections on Now Activism.
Over 50 friends from around the world contributed to this booklet
to explore what kind of activism is inspiring, unique and needed
- View The Footprint Network's latest film, "One Planet Life". Figure out what your ecological footprint is and ways you can reduce it.
- Nature has recently launched a new free-access website dedicated
to in-depth coverage of climate change at www.nature.com/climate.
- You can find all kinds of cool, useful and timely documentaries on-line and download them for free at www.freedocumentaries.org.
- Soil and Health Library
is an excellent website containing hundreds of e-books on interesting
topics like holistic agriculture, holistic health, homesteading,
spiritualism, social criticism, etc. The books can all be got
for free, though there is a suggested donation of $13.18 for lifetime
- Abhivyakti has published its annual 'Expressions', this time
featuring several tools for deepening dialogues: including Open
Space Technology, World Cafe, Mela, and more... Check
it out on-line! and contact Abhivyakti
to request copies in print.
- Samanvaya has released "Quintessential Gandhi",
a new book on Gandhi, which is targeted at youth and explores
some of the complexities in Gandhi's well-known ideas. This is
done in a lucid, easy-to-read and attractive manner, using a combination
of text (his own words) as well as relevant photographs from his
life. The book contains the following sections:- Gandhi takes
India by Storm - A Man of Faith - Ahimsa - Non-Violence - A Man
of Action - Challenge to Modernity. Visit www.samanvaya.com
to order a copy of the book.
- Check out the Multiworld bulletin, Kamiriithu, on-line
at www.multiworld.org. Order
your subscription on-line today!
- Imagine Chicago released a 'possibility publication' in conjunction with its 10th
anniversary. Download "Imagination in
Action" from their website for conceptual frameworks, stories, tools and
resources on how to start on imagine project or movement in your city.
- EDucate! is the quarterly bulletin of the Sindh
Education Foundation, Karachi, Pakistan. It is dedicated to "challenging ethically,
morally and intellectually the inequalities in the existing paradigms of education and
development in order to liberate peoples' thoughts and actions."
- Edu-Care, the
newsletter of the Center for Learning (CFL), Secunderabad, Andhra Pradesh, is now
available on the web. It shares CFL's experiences and ideas about how to evolve socially
just lifestyles and perspectives, which genuinely respect cultural and biological
diversity and which bring out the best in ourselves as individuals and as collectives.
- Check out the Journal of Futures Studies
on-line, for the latest ideas of futurists, on a variety of issues, from around the world.
- The latest issue of TechKnowLogia
on "Technologies for All - Issues of Equity" (July - September 2002) is
available on-line. TechKnowLogia is published bimonthly by Knowledge Enterprise,
Inc., in collaboration with UNESCO, OECD and GIIC. It provides policy makers, strategists,
practitioners and technologists at the local, national and global levels with a strategic
forum to share policies, strategies, experiences and tools in harnessing technologies for
knowledge dissemination, effective learning, and efficient education services. It also
reviews systematically the latest systems and products of technologies of today, and peeks
into the world of tomorrow.
- Humanscape, a publication of the Foundation
for Humanisation, is dedicated to airing and sharing issues central to human
existence. Find news, features, information about voluntary organizations, back
issues, and the current issue of the magazine (June 2002 examines the potential of using
wastelands as a resource).
the Ecological Overshoot of the Human Economy" is the latest paper by Redefining Progress, a nonpartisan public policy
organization that creates policies and tools to encourage accurate market prices, preserve
our common assets, and foster social and economic sustainability. The study, which
compares humanity's demand on the environment to the earth's supply of bioproductive areas
over the past 40 years, documents that in 1999 we were using the planet 20 percent faster
than it can regenerate itself.
- Multiworld is a new initiative launched by
people from Asia, Africa, Latin America and Aotearoa. It is dedicated to nurturing
and protecting intellectual creativity and diversity, and is determined to actively fight
the influence and spread of the debilitating and homogenising institutions of the
West. They have recently put together an excellent reading
list on decolonizing knowledge. Multiworld's projects include dismantling the
institution of factory schooling (Taleemnet), and
promoting/connecting organic farming efforts in India (India Organic).
- Based in Sarnath, Vidhya Ashram is aiming to build a movement towards peoples' knowledge or lokvidya.
- Pioneers of Change
is an emerging global learning community of young people, from
diverse cultural, social, and professional backgrounds.
They seek to develop the commitment, understanding, and network
of relationships to create or transform systems, so that these
systems may come to in life-affirming ways.
- Communities of the Future (COTF) is
an evolving network of people and organizations throughout the U.S. and other countries
that are working in collaboration to develop new concepts of governance, economic
development, and education/learning for a fast-paced, interconnected, and increasingly
complex society. COTF emphasizes community research and development to create new
assumptions, concepts, methods and techniques - transformational change.
- The Coalition for Self-Learning
is a collective of autonomous individuals and groups each working independently but in
mutual aid to help one another promote ideas and actions for creating learning communities
and their relevance to social change. Its goals and purposes are to envision a world
without schools -- a world of cooperative community life-long learning centers as a
significant element in the emerging cooperative commonwealth where individuals are
honoured and celebrated and where they find a safe place to be, to belong, to learn, and
to go on developing in a meaningful way - for them, and for their whole
- Education Revolution is the website of
the Alternative Education Resource Organization (AERO). It shares a variety of stories,
advice, links and publications, to stimulate a revolution in education. AERO seeks
to build resources to support self-determined learning processes which reflect the natural
genius of everyone.
- Learning Without Frontiers was a
transnational initiative to develop learning communities, that was hosted by UNESCO. Many
interesting resources can be found on its site, which has recently been put back on the
- YES! informs, inspires
and empowers young people working for a world of social justice,
peace, human rights and environmental sanity. Through camps, Youth
Jams, organizing manuals, public speaking and a support network
for young activists, YES! empowers the next generation to claim
its voice and transform our world.
- Inspired by the life and work of E.F. Schumacher, Schumacher College was founded in 1991
upon the twin convictions that the worldview, which has dominated Western civilisation,
has serious limitations, and that a new vision is needed for human society, its values and
its relationship to the earth. Through interdisciplinary studies, the College aims to
uncover the roots of the prevailing worldview and to explore the foundations of that new
- The Commons hosts a number of interesting projects and
programs on technology, economy and society, including the Journal of World Transport
Policy and Practice, which initiated Car-Free and Shed Your Car
Days around the world. It is also supporting the city of Stockholms world-wide
exceptional sustainable cities program, which is sharing more than 220 innovative in from
more than fifty countries in the first week of June.
- Based in the Phillippines, Popular Education for People's
Empowerment, Inc. (PEPE) is dedicated to the promotion of "pop-ed" theories
and practices as tools towards people's empowerment. As part of its commitment to human
development, PEPE provides "pop-ed" services to a diverse set of people: urban
poor, peasants, fisherfolk, professionals, women, indigenous peoples, etc.
- Learning Development Institute is
a transdisciplinary networked learning community devoted to excellence in the development
and study of learning. Check out their work on "In Search of the Meaning of
Without Borders is an organization devoted to global educational
change at the high-school level for an information age.